Saturday, April 16, 2011

DX Key Set 01: Review





Ok first off, I love the overall packaging of the DX sets. On the front we just have a basic plastic bubble with the 5 keys laid out for display. I know that some people dont like it, cause then it looks weird if you want to display the box with the keys(cause the box would just be a bubble card) but personally i enjoy this alot more. Just cause i like seeing the actual product, and I love the mobirate, gun, sabe, and buckle boxes BECAUSE they didnt have a plastic screen, so that I can display the boxes with the products, but with ranger keys, it just has a completely different effect when its pictures instead of the actual keys.







Heres the back, and again I love this. They have a line up of all 5 keys, along with a pic of their real form counterparts, as well as a small description about them on the bottom. I like this so much, because its shows to me all least that they put alot into the packaging. Like some companies, even some years of sentai, would have just slapped pics of the keys on the back, and just put their name underneath them. Also it reminds me alot of how they are overlaying the ranger over the person whenever a former red appears in the show. Its a subtle touch but it adds so much.



Lets get into the keys shall we







Geki Red(Jyuken Sentai Gekiranger)




Ok so in terms of screen accurate in Gokaiger, its spot on, nothing to point out of anything. It is just about as close as you can get to screen accurate. However in terms of ranger accurate, there are a couple of things. What do I mean? Well in the ranger form in both shows, Gekiranger has white trim around the black claw markings on the body. This key does not have those and you really can tell the difference. However in Gokaiger the key also does not have the trim. It may seem like just a small thing, however I have seen it modded where the trim has been added and it adds soo much to the look and feel of the key. Also on the helmet there are 3 bars in the middle, these in ranger form are alternating black and red, on the key its just straight red. And thats how the key is in the show. Again small thing, but ive seen it done and looks awesome. Now with these small details, people could say its just a tiny toy, but they added smaller elements of detail on some of the other keys, so why not this one. But ill get into that later.







Deka Red (Tokusou Sentai Dekaranger)




So Deka Red.....its not Gokaiger key accurate, nor is it ranger form accurate. I would say however that it is the most detailed of this set. In ranger form, the Dekarangers have a white trim that outlines the number on their chest. It really helps the number pop out, rather thatn looking like a random design, which is really what it looks like on this key if you dont know what its suppose to be. And again I know its a really small detail, but they not only put the SPD badge on his chest, but they made a small SPD logo for his helmet! Thats twice as small as the trim would need to be! Again Ive seen it modded and added before that it looks awesome.







Magi Red (Mahou Sentai Magiranger)




Ok so Magi Red, I would put in the same boat as Geki Red. Its a screen accurate key, but the key doesnt match up with the ranger form. However I will say that this key is more excusable for not putting a couple things on. First, the legs. On the ranger form, Magi Red's black and gold bars that go down his chest, also appear on his legs, but not on the key. Now I know that they arent doing much to the legs, other than adding boots, so thats forgivable. And again I've seen it added and it adds a little, but not huge like Geki and Deka. Second, the cape. I always thought the cape was cool cause it was like a throwback to the Goranger days(which is my favor sentai, everyone go watch Gorangers!!). But i really cant see how they would make it work so again forgivable. Moving on.







Gao Red (Hyakujuu Sentai Gaoranger)




Gao Red is the same as Magi and Geki. Key is accurate to the show key, but the key design isnt ranger accurate. The 2 things to point out here are the helmet and the sash. The helmet has a different shade of red running from the eyes of the helmet backwards to the end on the helmet. Like the Geki helmet black, I cant see why they couldnt add that in. Now Ive seen it done and it looks really good, however I've seen other that color it too dark, almost a black, and that doesnt look good. The sash on the ranger has 5 lines running through the middle(The other Gaorangers have them as well, but in descending order and amount of lines). This wasnt really I big deal to me. Its seen it added but this one I actually think looks worse.







Vul Eagle (Taiyo Sentai Sun Vulcan)




Ok and finally the last key of this set, Vul Eagle. Ok so this is a great key. I would say its the best in the set of being both key accurate, as well as ranger form accurate. I really have no complaints about this key, except for the "Made in china" writing on the front of the key when its in key form. I know they have to put it somewhere, but really? There? I have this issue with some other keys as well, but they are pretty easy to cover up so not too big of a deal.



Packaging: 9/10

Keys: 8/10

Overall: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment